All Aboard, adventure seekers! 🚂 Are you ready to join the Weardale Railway crew for an epic journey of fun and excitement? We're on a mission to make our Heritage Railway events legendary, and we need passionate individuals like YOU to come on board.
Picture this: You, as a crucial part of the team, making every event a spectacular success!
🎟️ Unleash your skills, personality and enthusiasm in our Ticket Office, where the magic begins! Become the maestro of all things tickets – spreading joy and excitement as you help visitors embark on their railway adventure
🚆 Or, fancy a ticket to ride on the train itself? Be a Ticket Inspector and join the crew on board, ensuring every passenger has a first-class experience by selling tickets and providing information about the service and local attractions. 🌟 As a Weardale Railway volunteer, you're not just helping us – you're becoming part of a highly experienced team dedicated to creating unforgettable moments for our visitors.
So, if you're ready for a ticket to adventure, join us on this thrilling ride! We're not just building events; we're crafting memories, and we want YOU to be a part of the magic
• Sell tickets, handle cash and cards while delivering excellent customer service
• Be the “face of the railway” as you act as the first point of contact
• Help to ensure that every ticket sold is a ticket to lasting memories
Absolutely no experience or qualifications are necessary for this fantastic opportunity to acquire new skills. We believe this role is perfect for individuals who:
• Are 17 years or older
• Possess excellent communication skills, and are adept at initiating conversations with people of all ages
• Radiate a welcoming, approachable and helpful demeanour
• Are proactive with a positive nature, an interest in providing an excellent visitor experience
• Enthusiastic and willing to learn about the Railway
• Reliable, well-presented, friendly and polite
• Comfortable collaborating as part of a team
• Are able to undertake the activity with and without supervision
We are excited to welcome people with some or all of these qualities to the team
Having a flexible approach to time management is key. We would prefer people who can commit to ideally at least once a week, but if you can do more we be more than happy to have you. The railway is operational between February and December with the busier periods between June and September and Christmas. Shift length can vary between 4 and 8 hours depending on what we are doing but you tell us what you can give.
Don’t worry we’ve got you, with a warm welcome and some great training:
You’ll kick things off with a friendly induction session, a great way to dive into your new adventure and then further hands on training and job shadowing
We don't offer travel reimbursement
Your volunteering will be a big deal, you will be helping make Bishop Auckland and the surrounding area even better. Here’s what we need from you, simple and clear
• Be on time and reliable, show up for your shift ready to go.
• Dress the part – just follow our advice on what to wear.
• Be buddies with everyone – staff, volunteers and visitors We are all in this together!
• Learn the ropes – take the training we offer, and join meetings when they happen.
• Spread the positivity – you are our ambassador.
• Safety first – Above all else
• Stick to the rules – our policies and procedures are our team playbook, let’s play by them
Here’s what you can expect from this fantastic opportunity – clear and important:
• A warm and delightful experience for you and our visitors
• The chance to learn and develop fresh skills and experiences; fine tune your excellent communication skills
• Fair respect and treatment – you’re a valued part of the team!
• Joining a team that’s not just motivated but also friendly and dedicated.
• We see and appreciate the difference you make – recognition and gratitude are part of the deal.
• Meeting a diverse range of people, making connections and forging new friendships.
• Personal satisfaction that you have truly enhanced our visitors’ experience.
• Valuable work experience, especially if you have an eye to a future in the culture and heritage sector.
• A CV and job application boost – real, hands-on experience to set you apart.
volunteers with The Auckland Project (TAP ) have access during opening times to the Visitor attractions, in order to understand these visitor attractions and act as an ambassador for TAP as part of being a volunteer.