Citizens Advice County Durham is looking for volunteers. We are part of a dedicated team providing clients with help and advice on the problems they face. We are looking for a team of volunteers who will work to assist clients in our community.
Do you want to help people find their way forward?
As a volunteer you may:
• be the first point of access for Citizens Advice clients when they call our helpline or drop in to an office
• talk to clients over the phone, face to face, or online to explore what problems they’ve come for help with
• complete paper and online forms with clients, for example to apply for a benefit, or to complete an application for money or equipment from a charity
• answer the telephone, reply to emails and post
• help with a wide range of problems and issues by giving information from our Citizens Advice online information system or referring on for more specialist advice where needed
• keep accurate records of our clients and their cases using our systems
• help prevent future problems for wider society by identifying issues that affect a lot of our clients
Skills and qualities
You don't need specific qualifications or experience to be a volunteer however you need to -
• be confident and familiar with keyboard skills, including searching the internet
• have excellent written and verbal communication skills
• be confident at inputting data
• have good listening skills
• be able to show empathy
• be able to remain calm and impartial
• have a positive manner
• be open minded and non-judgemental
• enjoy helping people
• In one of our offices across the County (we can be flexible so please talk to us)
Training and support
• A comprehensive training programme will be provided - initial training should take up to 12 weeks (depending on time commitment)
• Ongoing training, support and guidance will be provided by a qualified Supervisor in all aspects of providing the service
Citizens Advice County Durham would require all volunteers to:
• Give a time commitment to provide volunteer support for a minimum of 6 hours per week (this can be done in two slots of 3 hours per week).
• On completion of training we would request a minimum commitment of 6 months volunteering in this role
• Attend team meetings and any other training workshops as necessary
• Mileage expenses will be paid at the rate of 40p per mile (car) / 20p per mile (bicycle)
• The cost of using public transport will be reimbursed on the production of valid receipt/ticket
Volunteers can expect:
• To learn new skills that could increase your employability
• To become part of our team and meet new people
• get support from our experienced staff and managers
• To be part of providing a valued service to our communities and making a real difference to people’s lives.
At Citizens Advice County Durham we are concerned about how the impact of Covid is affecting all members of the public and we are determined to provide an excellent service to those people who need our help and support in these worrying times.
As well as making a real difference to people’s lives, volunteering with us can help you gain a wider range of skills, a new sense of purpose and wellbeing, and offer you the opportunity to become part of our friendly and welcoming team of staff and volunteers here at Citizens Advice County Durham.