Be a part of our amazing volunteer team that help clients find their way forward with various different issues including benefits, housing, employment and many more. Support us either on the phone, or through web chat and email. Cost of Living has affected us all and we need to build our team to support the most vulnerable in our communities. Your involvement will be invaluable!
As a volunteer you may:
• be the first point of access for Citizens Advice clients when they contact us via, our helpline, web chat or email.
• talk to clients over the phone or online to explore what problems they’ve come for help with
• help with a wide range of problems and issues by giving information from our Citizens Advice online information system or referring on for more specialist advice where needed
• keep accurate records of our clients and their cases using our systems
• help prevent future problems for wider society by identifying issues that affect a lot of our clients
You don't need specific qualifications or experience to be a volunteer, however you need to -
• be confident and familiar with computer skills, including searching the internet
• a good understanding of the English language including written and verbal communication skills
• have good listening skills
• be able to show empathy
• be able to remain calm and impartial
• have a positive manner
• be open minded and non-judgemental
• enjoy helping people
In one of our sites across the County:
Ideally we ask for 1 full day 9am - 5pm or 2 x 5 hours days, for at least 18 months following the completion of initial training.
We can be flexible so come and talk to us.
• A comprehensive training programme will be provided - initial training could take up to 16 weeks (depending on time commitment)
• Ongoing training, support and guidance will be provided by a training and supervision team
Citizens Advice County Durham would require all volunteers to:
• volunteer for a minimum of 8-10 hours per week, this can be one full day or 2 x 5 hour slots.
• On completion of training we would request a minimum commitment of 18 months volunteering in this role
• Attend team meetings and any other training workshops as necessary
• Mileage expenses will be paid at the rate of 45p per mile (car) / 20p per mile (bicycle)
• The cost of using public transport will be reimbursed on the production of valid receipt/ticket
Volunteers can expect:
• To learn new skills that could increase your employability
• To become part of our team and meet new people
• To be part of providing a valued service to our communities and making a real difference to people’s lives.
We are committed to having a team that is representative of the community it serves at all levels of the organisation. We therefore welcome applications from all backgrounds and all sections of the community.
As a volunteer, you can be assured that we will take positive steps to ensure:
Role descriptions and associated conditions relate to the particular role, define the qualifications, experience and other skills required in the post, and only include those factors which are necessary and justifiable on objective criteria for the satisfactory performance of the role.
All volunteers are treated equally and fairly throughout their time with Citizens Advice County Durham
All decisions are made in line with the organisation’s equal opportunities policy