Carers who have not been able to access online training, meetings or see family during the pandemic have been at a huge disadvantage. We began a project in January 2021 to identify and support those Carers whether they are complete beginners or have some limited knowledge but want to know more. We are recruiting volunteers to help us expand the project and reach more people. We need volunteers to support staff with online workshops and courses as well as support people one to one or in groups. You don’t have to be an IT professional but have the practical knowledge and understanding to help someone get over the challenges of a range of tasks like sending an email, getting onto a Zoom meeting or using a smart device like Alexa. We will be working towards meeting Carers face to face in the Autumn of 2022 as well as continuing to hold online meetings, so we need volunteers to support us in both ways.
• Understand and support Carers to use all sorts of equipment, operating systems and software programs and apps
• Assist the Connecting Carers Lead with any surgeries or workshops
• An understanding of and a sensitive approach towards the situations, needs and difficulties faced by Carers
• Good knowledge and understanding of hardware, software and systems needed to achieve the aims of the project
• Good knowledge and skills of using online meetings via Zoom and Microsoft Teams
• The ability to empathise with Carers of all ages and abilities and to support them to overcome their fears around IT
• Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
• A flexible approach to times and days
working from home and eventually out in County Durham and Darlington.
We carry out a DBS as part of the application and induction process
Training can be provided where necessary
Supervision will be provided by the Connecting Carers Lead. This is normally every 6 months however can be requested at any time by either the CCL, Volunteer Development Officer or the Volunteer
gain skills, experience, build your CV, make friends, feel rewarded for helping others