Visitors provide friendly support to eligible clients. Visitors are responsible to and supported by their Division Secretary, or by their Branch Secretary where no Division exists.
Duties of a Visitor include:
- Visiting eligible clients in their homes or care establishments to offer friendly support and a listening ear in a non-judgemental manner.
- Confidential handling of all information concerning clients and ensuring all data processed or held as part of the role, is done so strictly in accordance with SSAFA's data management policies and procedures.
- Alerting the Branch or Division Secretary if specific needs are identified, including any safeguarding issues.
- Supporting Branch and Division fundraising or awareness activity where possible.
- Attending branch training days and AGMs.
- Complying with and promoting SSAFA values and standards, including the code of confidentiality.
A forces background is not essential, a driver's licence is beneficial for some geographical areas, and IT skills would be desirable. The role suits friendly and caring individuals who don't wish to take on the administration involved in some other roles. All volunteers are required to adhere to Our Volunteer Policy.
RCFA Building, 53 Old Elvet, Durham, DH1 3JJ
Visitors receive local induction training about SSAFA. Interviews and references are part of the recruitment process. Under current Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) procedures, a DBS clearance is not required. SSAFA reviews DBS requirements at regular intervals.
Further advice and guidance can be found in Duties and Responsibilities of Branch and Service Volunteers, dated 21/10/2015.