The Bridge Young Carers Service supports children and young people aged 5-18 years who have caring responsibilities. The service works to actively reduce caring roles through family centered support, as well as raise awareness of challenges that young carers face within the community.
There are 4 main areas of support that a volunteer can offer The Bridge but we welcome volunteers to get involved in different roles, depending on their own skills, experience and interests:
• Family support – work directly with families to offer peer support and one-to-one wellbeing sessions
• Ambassador support – support the Community Engagement Practitioner to facilitate activities for our Young Carer Ambassadors, who act as advocates for other young carers
• Charter champion – support the Community Engagement Practitioner to deliver the Young Carers’ Neighbourhood Charter, by working with different schools and organisations to raise awareness
• Driver – we need volunteers to help transport our young carers to events, as the geography of County Durham makes it challenging to get a group of young people together in one place.
• Have experience of, or an interest in social work, education, youth work or family support.
• Are passionate about improving outcomes for young people and their families.
• Can demonstrate commitment, reliability and consistency.
• Are good communicators and relationship builders.
• Are understanding of the, often complex, needs of young carers and their families.
• A full clean drivers license (if interested in driving volunteering opportunity)
Our office is based in Butterwick Hospice, Bishop Auckland, but we work across the full County
• Travel expenses subsidised.
• Access to training and development opportunities for personal progression.
• The opportunity to help build resilience and improve outcomes for families.
• Gaining workplace experience and/or refreshing current skills.
• Becoming part of a dynamic team who are part of a national charity.
• Training and development opportunities offered.
• Regular supervision and coaching sessions offered.
DBS check required.