We are looking for experienced woodwork volunteers to follow a design brief and create MDF and solid wood items such as chopping boards, cheese boards, storage shelves etc. to sell in our gift shop. The takings from all the items sold will go back into our mental health charity. You will have your own workspace alongside 4 other volunteers in our reasonably sized workshop and all tools will be supplied by the instructor. Our workshop instructor will be available throughout the day for any extra training or support.
Planning/crafting and producing MDF and hardwood products to sell in our "The Cutting-Edge" Gift shop to help raise money towards our mental health charity.
- Basic to Intermediate Woodwork and joinery skills essential (Please bring certificates if available)
- Experience in woodwork machinery, such as band saw, chop saw, router etc. (further training will be given)
- Experience and knowledge with handheld tools.
- Cheerful nature, good interpersonal skills - able to communicate confidently with a range of people.
- Basic workshop/joinery safety training (Please bring certificates if you have them)
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team in a rapidly changing environment is essential.
- Eagerness to learn and train further in all aspects of woodworking/joinery skills.
Applicants must be 18 or over as you will be working alongside and around vulnerable adults.
Our Woodwork shop is based on the ground floor of St. Margaret's Centre at Crossgate in Durham City.
This Volunteer role is for TUESDAYS ONLY - 10am - 3.30pm.
- Intermediate woodwork and joinery training may be provided upon request
Bus fares/train fares will be reimbursed upon receival of your receipt.
Petrol/diesel will be reimbursed at 34p per mile up to a maximum of £10 a day
Free in house training courses available.
Volunteer appreciation days.
St. Margaret's Centre is a registered charity as an activity and training hub for adults who need support with their mental wellbeing. The main aim of the Centre is to improve the health and wellbeing of the community, by providing a safe, therapeutic environment for people to regain their confidence, motivation and self-esteem while earning new skills and meeting new friends.