- You will help MyBigCareer to connect young people with opportunities where they are supported and inspired to become positive change makers in their own lives.
- As a result of the COVID pandemic, young people from disadvantaged backgrounds face even greater barriers to achieving their academic and career aspirations. You will play such a vital role in the success and running of the organisation as a whole, inspiring young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to achieve more than they could imagine.
- You will become a role model and an inspiring individual in the lives of these young people, many of whom will not have had such an opportunity to gain the confidence and motivation to explore career ideas.
- Provide 1:1 support to students aged 11 to 18 from the most disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds.
- Listen to students, demonstrating compassion, recognising their uniqueness and potential, and so empowering them to achieve their own aspirations.
- You will be motivated by your shared passion for making career and educational opportunities available to all – regardless of background, affluence or connections.
We ask all our volunteers to demonstrate passion, positivity and commitment to improving social mobility for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds. The essential requirements for the role are the ability to listen, show compassion and find a solution focussed approach, acting with purpose.
We know how precious your time is and want to make the most of every hour you give us. We’ll help you to have the best possible impact for young people and get a great volunteering experience too.
You don’t need to be career guidance guru, qualified life coach or employment expert to make a life-changing difference. Instead we value your life experience, your energy and insights and the connections you can make: the tools you’ll need to help connect, inspire and make change for young people starting out on their journey.
The role will be online for the forseeable future, with the possibility of various school locations in the Durham/Newcastle area
- The charity will provide significant training and resources to support volunteers
- The charity will cover any travel costs, where required
As a MyBigCareer volunteer you’ll be:
- Supported, encouraged and trained by the charity’s energetic team
- Sharing your skills, insights and expertise to help young people who are less advantaged
- Getting the opportunity to make new connections with like-minded volunteers
- Growing professionally and personally as a role model and inspirational individual
- Supporting your own wellbeing by putting your spare time and ability to brilliant use
- Commit 3 hours to an online training session as well as go through a criminal background check (Enhanced DBS check which will be supplied by our charity if/when required).