We provide a befriending service for adults with learning disabilities, supporting them to take part in their personal choice of activities in the community. Activities are as varied as our clients, and include walking, swimming, visiting relatives, shopping and going for meals. The service benefits both the clients and their families/ carers, who receive a short spell of respite while the client spends time with their befriender.
We are a Charitable Incorporated Organisation based in Spennymoor and support people across the whole of County Durham.
Trustees lead the Charity and decide how it is run – for One to One this means making decisions to help us to continue providing our service for adults with a learning disability.
Help to make decisions about how the Charity is run, holding the management to account.
Trustees ensure the Charity is fulfilling its purpose and complying with its governing document and with charity law requirements.
Trustees bring their skills and experience to help the Charity to thrive and grow.
As a Trustee you have full protection in the unlikely event that the Charity faces financial difficulties.
You are eligible if you are aged 16 or over.
Knowledge of finance or learning disabilities would be an advantage but certainly not essential. More important would be qualities of empathy and caring nature for adults with learning disabilities.
Monthly meetings at the One to One office at 26 High Street, Spennymoor, DL16 6DB Usually two hours long and on a Tuesday at 7 pm. Lots of parking at the back. We are two or three doors down from the town hall.
Expenses will be paid if required.
• You will to make a difference for people with a learning disability and their families/ carers in County Durham.
• You will give something back to society and support people in your local community.
• You will work with a passionate, dedicated team of people.
• You will bring your knowledge and skills to help a local Charity to succeed, working as a team with people with various backgrounds.
• You will gain some experience/ awareness of learning disabilities.
• You will gain experience of working on a Charity Management Committee to support your personal/ career development.