We are looking for volunteers to make regular (weekly or fortnightly) calls to older people to check that they are well and have their basic needs for warmth, food and safety met.
It is an opportunity for the client(s) to have a conversation with somebody at a designated time during the week, which supports their wellbeing and the need for social contact.
· Provide companionship to clients and assist in providing social stimulation
· Help in reducing social isolation and increasing the capacity of clients to live independently
· Support the aims of Age UK County Durham and adhere to the organisations policies and procedures
· Refer clients to other support services within the organisation for additional support, advice and information.
· Dependable and trustworthy with a positive outlook
· Enjoy meeting and getting to know new people
· A liking for and empathy with older people
· An understanding of the feelings and needs of older people
· An open-minded and non-judgemental approach
· Willingness to undertake training
Calls will be made from your own home at a time that suits both you and the client
Volunteers are required to complete training in
· Health & Safety
· Data Protection
· Dementia Awareness
· Lone Working
· Any other training identified as applicable to this role
· An opportunity to learn new skills and use them to benefit others
· Work experience and a work reference
· A chance to meet new people
· An opportunity to contribute to and be part of the organisation
The organisation provides appropriate insurance for all volunteers whilst they are undertaking their role. Travel expenses are available and will be paid up to a pre-agreed limit.