The Spanish Gallery is an extraordinary place…and we want you to be part of the team to look after it and share it with others.
This role, requiring responsibility, vigilance, and excellent customer service skills, is part of an invigilation and visitor support team which plays a crucial part in the way the Spanish Gallery engages with its visitors to provide a truly memorable experience, and looks after the works of art.
We aspire to fire people’s imagination and interest through our sharing of stories and ideas about Spanish art. Created within historic buildings in the town’s market place in the heart of Bishop Auckland, The Spanish Gallery features paintings, sculptures and displays to provide a rich experience for our visitors
What will I be doing?
Invigilator Duty -
Be part of a team that looks after the Spanish Gallery and its works of art by:
• Invigilating specific gallery spaces - ensuring that the security of the works of art are not compromised.
Engager Duty -
Be part of a team that looks after our visitors by:
• Welcoming visitors within the Spanish Gallery, offering a genuinely friendly welcome, with a smile, eye contact and open body language
• Offering visitors an appropriate level of information about a specific gallery setting, event, person or time period, supporting visitors to discover their own responses to the art, themes and stories presented
• Helping orientate visitors, ensuring safe passage of visitors particularly around pinch points, and ‘signposting’, as and when appropriate, other TAP venues and ventures.
Both aspects of the role will include -
• Being observant – ‘the eyes and ears of TAP in the Spanish Gallery, informing the Team Leader/Duty Manager immediately in the event of damage to the building or to any artwork, in the instance of any health and safety or security issues arising, and of any other emergencies that may occur
• Ensuring that the gallery’s rules and requirements are understood and followed
• Communicating with colleagues to ensure safety of the works of art and visitors
• Adhering to health and safety regulations, being aware of disability and access requirements, and assisting the public in evacuation situations in accordance with a thorough knowledge of evacuation procedures (training provided).
• Helping manage any social distancing or sanitising requirements
• Assisting to ensure the Spanish Gallery it is presentable to our visitors
• Being an ambassador/advocate of TAP
• Is over 18
• Is diligent, trustworthy, and responsible
• Has a can-do attitude, ensuring people engage with us now and in the future
• Is a punctual time keeper, and is willing to undertake, understand and relish training and briefing sessions
• Has customer/guest/visitor care experience, or can demonstrate that they have the attributes – the ability to share interest in the experience, and the visitor’s enjoyment of it
• Is able and willing to follow instructions
• Is Health & Safety conscious
• Is keen to show they are a good team player and communicator
• Is pleasant and presentable
• Is open-minded and willing to acknowledge and embrace an individual's right to space and opinions
The Auckland Project, Bishop Auckland
Spanish Gallery - The Market Place
There will be core training, including invigilation, and the opportunity to find out more about the art, artists and culture of Spain, and share the information amongst the group, other colleagues, and our visitors
• Experience, challenge, a development and ‘CV-building’ opportunity – ‘a chance to grow’
• Being part of something new
• A chance to find out about aspects of Spanish art and artists
What’s in it for the Auckland Project?
• Enthusiastic, informed, kind, responsible people – ‘The Right Stuff’! – representing this gallery
• Care of the Spanish Gallery, its exhibits, and our visitors.
What’s in it for the visitors?
• An experience enhanced by amazing volunteers - so time with us gives great memories
• You will be asked to provide and wear appropriate clothing. Dress code will be advised.
• The Auckland Project is unable to reimburse travel expenses.