Are you good at listening? Would you like to give something back to your community? Silver Talk is a FREE telephone befriending service which give people the opportunity to connect for regular social telephone chats. When you volunteer with Silver Talk, you will be providing valuable friendship and support. An up to 30 minute call from Silver Talk can make an incredible difference to a person’s life, but it’s only with your help that we can continue to make a difference.
This is what we'd expect from you as a Silver Talk volunteer
• Making time for a 30-minute call on the same day and time each week.
• A commitment to volunteering with us for a minimum of six months
• Complete a basic DBS check before starting
• Willingness to complete initial, and ongoing Silver Talk training
• Adhere to confidentiality
• Keep brief notes of your call
• Making us aware if you or your telephone service user needs any support
• Letting us know promptly if you’re unable to make your weekly call
• Agreeing to our Karbon Homes’ volunteer terms and conditions
At Silver Talk we're looking for people who have the following key skills:
• Excellent listening skills
• Enjoy a good phone call, and a general natter
• Ability to show empathy
The location of the role is flexible; currently due to the coronavirus, all volunteers are doing so from home.
This is what you can expect from Karbon Homes:
• Full training on how to complete your calls, and what to do if you or your service user needs support
• Monthly contact to check to see how you are doing
• Fully pay for your DBS check
• Mobile phone to complete your calls, so you don’t need your own device, or use your own credit/ data.
• Support from our Foundations for Life team to get started as a volunteer if you require it, or next step support if volunteering is the start of your journey.
• Reference provider for any future/ additional opportunities you wish to undertake
Karbon is a large organisation that is focused on customers and communities. You would be volunteering at an organisation that looks after customers, staff and volunteers and would benefit from the support an organisation of our size can provide.
The role is for volunteers aged 18+. It can be delivered from home with access to the internet preferable.