As a rainbow call companion, you will be someone who identifies as LGBT+ who wants to support lonely older LGBT+ people. Your regular calls will provide a lifeline of friendship to our older people. The regular warm, friendly chats and companionship are a vital link with the outside world from which they have become isolated.
Over time, you and the older person you have been matched with will get to know each other well and together you will share fun, laughter and stories.
You will need one reference and to complete an ID check for this role.
• Calling the older person, you have been matched with two to four times a month at an agreed time.
• Following the guidance in your call companion training modules to ensure that your calls are enjoyable, appropriate and in line with our charitable aims.
• Keeping in regular contact with your call companion coordinator and letting them know how everything is going.
• Completing monthly online reports about your call companion calls.
This is a flexible, homebased voluntary role that can easily be fitted in around your own lifestyle and availability.
Rainbow call companions call the older person they are matched with between two and four times per month, and each call lasts around 30 minutes. During your first call with the older person, you will decide together how often the calls will take place and at what time.
This is a long-term voluntary role, so we are ideally looking for individuals who are able to commit to volunteering with us for at least 12 months.
Please note that you must identify as LGBT+ and be at least 18 years old to volunteer as a rainbow call companion.
We are looking for rainbow call companions with the following skills and attributes:
• Good conversation skills
• An enthusiasm for speaking on the phone and making connections remotely
• A friendly, empathetic approach
• The ability to really listen to people
• A passion for improving the lives of lonely and isolated older people
• The ability to volunteer as part of a mutually supportive team of call companions
• Basic computer literacy (including the ability to use email)
Flexible, homebased which can be fitted around your own lifestyle and availability.
As one of our valued rainbow call companions, you’ll receive training from Re-engage, and support and regular communications from your call companion coordinator.
This is a fun and rewarding role which will enable you to connect with a lonely older LGBT+ person and make a real and lasting difference to their life.