We are looking for friendly and approachable volunteers to assist in the running of "The Cutting-Edge" Gift shop. You Will be working alongside other volunteers selling our own MDF/Hardwood products which are created in our very own wood workshop. There will be a "Creative space" available within the shop for quieter times, this is for any of our volunteers who would like to decorate and design pre made items, ready to sell in our gift shop.
- Assist customers
- Run orders through tills and card machine
- Taking any made to measure or bespoke orders that customers may request
- Restocking products on shelves
- Tidying and reorganising shelves
- Decorate and design MDF products to sell in the gift shop (optional)
- Stock and quantity checks
- Regular and consistent cleaning, including equipment, floors, walls, and dusting work surfaces and hoovering.
- Ensure a safe working environment
- Working as part of a team
- Customer service skills
- Basic woodwork or craft skills (not essential)
- Eagerness to learn and train in all aspects of the Cutting-Edge craft shop operation
- Cheerful and approachable nature with good interpersonal skills and able to communicate with a wide variety of people.
- Good communication and customer service skills are essential for this role.
- The ability to work as part of a team and with the public in a rapidly changing environment
Applicants must be 18 or over as you will be working alongside and around vulnerable adults.
"The Cutting-Edge" gift shop is based in Durham City Centre on Crossgate. It is based on the ground floor and is a trading arm of St. Margaret's Centre
Our gift shop is open from 9.30am - 3.30pm Mondays - Fridays
Hours are flexible, can be half days or full days. However we do prefer volunteers to pick a set day/days they know they can definitely work.
Training in Safeguarding Children and vulnerable adults, all will be done through St. Margaret's Centre.
Bus fares/train fares will be reimbursed upon receival of your receipt.
Petrol/diesel will be reimbursed at 34p per mile up to a maximum of £10 a day upon receival of receipt.
Free training opportunities
Volunteer appreciation day
St. Margaret's Centre is a registered charity as an activity and training hub for adults who need support with their mental wellbeing. The main aim of the Centre is to improve the health and wellbeing of the community, by providing a safe, therapeutic environment for people to regain their confidence, motivation and self-esteem while earning new skills and meeting new friends.
Volunteers in our Gift Shop will be volunteering alongside and around vulnerable adults. To help support our volunteers, we offer an in house Safeguarding vulnerable adults training course.
Our Gift shop is currently closed but we hope to re-open around the end of August 2023