The Friends of Durham Cathedral is an independent charity of over 3,000 international members who are committed to support a range of heritage and conservation projects at Durham Cathedral.
Your role would be to provide support to a range of fundraising events and activities.
•Assist in the delivery of marketing activities / materials to raise awareness of membership and support of the Friends of Durham Cathedral and of events which have a fundraising focus.
•Provide administrative support including helping sending out mailshots and preparing information packs.
•To assist at our fundraising events such as our Christmas Concert and off-site at the Christmas Fayre.
•To be an ambassador for the Friends of Durham Cathedral, Durham City, North East of England and the UK.
We welcome volunteers from any background, of all faiths and none, and those who in turn show respect and sensitivity towards all nationalities, religions, beliefs, cultures, backgrounds, and the values of the Cathedral as a working church.
For this role, we are looking for the following:
• Volunteers aged 16 or above
• A pleasant, polite, calm and welcoming manner.
• Friendly and personable communicator.
• Good written and oral communication skills and attention to detail.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and using the Internet as a research tool.
• Experience of cash handling/credit card processing and helping with the sale of merchandise at events would be helpful.
You will usually be based in The Friends Office, Cathedral Office, The College, Durham City, DH1 3EH, or at other locations in or around Durham for any off-site events you choose to assist with.
We are grateful for any gift of time you can give. Administrative or office based tasks are usually undertaken within normal office hours (weekdays, daytime). Some of our fundraising and other special events take place on weekends or evenings.
• Introductory training specific to the role
We will also ask you to complete the Church of England Safeguarding Training to Foundations level. This is mandatory for all Cathedral volunteers and further details of how to access the training will be provided once your application form has been accepted.
Unfortunately we are not able to offer expenses.
• Opportunity to learn new skills in charity /volunteering team.
• Learning about the Cathedral and region’s heritage and social context.
• Involvement in the important life and history of Durham’s most iconic building.
• References available on request.
• Various optional training useful in a personal and professional capacity.
• Northern Museums Volunteer Pass – free entry/discounts in other participating museums.
• Opportunity to join the Cathedral’s Community Roll
• Friends of Durham Cathedral members receive a range of discounts across the Cathedral site. If you volunteer with us and are not a member of the Friends, we will supply you with a Cloister Card which offers 10% discount in the Cathedral Shop and Undercroft Restaurant (conditions apply).
Please use the information on our website to plan your travel to the Cathedral by public transport or by parking in and around the city. We are not usually able to offer parking in the Cathedral grounds unless agreed in advance. Unfortunately we are unable to offer expenses.
Some areas of the Cathedral are not fully accessible without the use of steps, and as a historic building, some floors are uneven. Please do let us know if mobility may be challenging for you in this environment.