If you want to preserve County Durham's heritage for future generations, then monitor volunteering is the opportunity for you!
Set on the banks of the River Wear, Finchale tells the gripping story of St Godric - a retired sailor and merchant who settled here after a life of adventure and travel. We need you to help us care for this magnificent site. Through regular checks and feedback reports to site presentation tasks, this role is a flexible way to make a difference.
Monitor volunteering is a varied and flexible role, no two days are the same and your presence at site will ensure a great experience for our many visitors. Within the course of your visits, you will;
• Provide feedback to your local Free Sites team about any damage to the buildings or any problems you may find on the site.
• Maintain the site’s appearance by cleaning signage and reporting any damage.
• As far as possible, respond or pass on visitors’ questions with regard to the site or its history.
• Collect and dispose of any litter found on site, provided it is safe to do so.
This role would suit someone living in the local area with a reasonable level of fitness and an interest in helping to ensure the site is well-presented and any issues are reported.
In preparation for your role, and with our support, you will develop an understanding of your site. Full training will be provided by English Heritage, which will include:
• Familiarisation with the site and Free Sites team
• A Welcome to English Heritage Induction session and accompanying handbook
• Role-specific training, including the sharing of relevant health & safety materials.
• On-going support and an assigned volunteer manager
As an English Heritage volunteer, you can expect;
• A welcoming and enjoyable experience
• To be treated fairly and with respect
• Recognition and appreciation for your contribution
• A full induction and training programme with on-going support
• A volunteer pass allowing free entry to English Heritage properties is available on completion of 60 hours and four months of volunteering
• Reimbursement of reasonable travel costs between home and volunteering location within agreed limits
• A certificate to demonstrate work carried out for English Heritage is available on request to show future employers or further education providers
• You will be covered by English Heritage’s own indemnity arrangements in respect of all liabilities that may result from your appointment as a volunteer