If you have a way with words, a passion for history and live local to Finchale Priory then this is the opportunity for you!
Set on the banks of the River Wear, Finchale tells the gripping story of St Godric - a retired sailor and merchant who settled here after a life of adventure and travel. We need you to help visitors understand its story through its surviving remains. As an Explainer Volunteer, you will help visitors navigate the site and deliver short talks on key aspects.
We are looking for confident, effective communicators who will be friendly and approachable to all visitors. Please be mindful that volunteers in this role will be required to spend time outside and stand for long periods of time. This role will suit individuals who have an enthusiastic and friendly manner, and enjoy meeting new people.
Sessions will run on specific days throughout the summer season and will last no more than 2 hours at a time. These dates will be communicated in advance so you can let the site team know of your availability.
In preparation for your role, and with our support, you will develop an understanding of the history of your site. Full training will be provided by English Heritage, which will include:
• Familiarisation with the site and Free Sites team
• A Welcome to English Heritage Induction session and accompanying handbook
• Role-specific training, including the sharing of relevant health & safety materials.
• On-going support and an assigned volunteer manager
As an English Heritage volunteer, you can expect;
• A welcoming and enjoyable experience
• To be treated fairly and with respect
• Recognition and appreciation for your contribution
• A full induction and training programme with on-going support
• A volunteer pass allowing free entry to English Heritage properties is available on completion of 60 hours and four months of volunteering
• Reimbursement of reasonable travel costs between home and volunteering location within agreed limits
• A certificate to demonstrate work carried out for English Heritage is available on request to show future employers or further education providers
• You will be covered by English Heritage’s own indemnity arrangements in respect of all liabilities that may result from your appointment as a volunteer