Egglestone Abbey is a charming ruined monastery set above a bend in the River Tees. From the ruined 13th century church, to traces of an ingenious toilet drainage system, this site has a wealth of stories to share!
We are looking for friendly, local people who are passionate about history to deliver short, spotlight talks to help our many visitors understand the historical significance of Egglestone Abbey and bring these stories to life.
You will play a key role in helping visitors make the most out of their time at Egglestone Abbey by explaining the site’s historical significance. You will also be a friendly face providing way-finding information and answering any questions.
You will select points of interest within the ruin around which you will deliver short, spotlight talks to members of the public across the course of a volunteer session. Volunteer sessions will last no longer than 2 hours, and the number of talks within a session will vary depending upon footfall. You will work closely with our curatorial team, who will be able to brief you on the content of your short talk.
What will English Heritage expect from me?
• To be the friendly face of English Heritage and deliver excellent customer service
• To be reliable in attendance and dependable
• Help us maintain the highest standards of presentation at our sites and properties
• To wear English Heritage volunteer uniform where provided
We are looking for confident, effective communicators who will be friendly and approachable to all visitors. Please be mindful that volunteers in this role will be required to spend time outside and stand for long periods.
Volunteer sessions will last 2 hours and will be scheduled in advance according to your availability.
In preparation for your role, and with our support, you will develop an understanding of the history of Egglestone Abbey. Full training will be provided by English Heritage, which will include:
• Familiarisation with site and staff, you will also be assigned a Volunteer Manager who will be able to answer any questions and help you settle into your role.
• A Welcome to English Heritage Induction session and accompanying Volunteer Handbook
• Role-specific training, including the sharing of relevant health & safety materials.
• On-going support from our Curatorial and Free Sites teams