To assist in the running of "The Old School Café" St. Margaret's Centre's own Volunteer led Café. You will be working alongside other volunteers and our Café Supervisor preparing and selling food and beverages to the Centre's attendee's, staff, and visitors.
- Preparing and serving food
- Taking food order
- Till and card machine operation
- Clearing and cleaning tables
- Tidying and restocking shelves, fridges and cupboards
- Ensuring a safe environment at all times
- Working as part of a team alongside other volunteers and the Supervisor
- Experience in a café/restaurant environment and food handling is preferred but not essential
- Awareness of basic food hygiene. Basic food and hygiene training will be given from our Centre (30 mins training session)
- Food Allergen awareness is essential but training will be offered form our Centre (Online Course - flexible learning hours)
- Cheerful and approachable nature with good interpersonal skills, able to communicate confidently with a range of people
- Good communication skills and customer service skills are essential for this role
- Experience in working with vulnerable adults is preferred but not essential (Training course booklet will be given)
Applicants must be 18 or over as you will be working alongside and around vulnerable adults.
"The Old School Café" is based in Durham City Centre on Crossgate. The Café itself is based on the ground floor and is part of St. Margaret's Centre.
Days are flexible, but ideally you will select a day or multiple days that work for you.
The Café is open Mondays - Fridays and it's initial opening hours will be 9.30am - 1pm. Until both Volunteers and Supervisor feel fully confident, and we feel volunteers can confidently work as a team without the supervisor present, we will then extend opening hours from 9.30am - 3.30pm
Basic food hygiene training will be given, as well as Allergy awareness training and Safeguarding Children and vulnerable adults, all will be done through St. Margaret's Centre.
Bus fares/train fares will be reimbursed upon receival of your receipt.
Petrol/diesel will be reimbursed at 34p per mile up to a maximum of £10 a day
Once the Café extends it's opening hours, Volunteers that work 4 hours or more will receive a free lunch from the regular menu (not including cold beverages).
Free training offered
Volunteer appreciation days
St. Margaret's Centre is a registered charity as an activity and training hub for adults who need support with their mental wellbeing. The main aim of the Centre is to improve the health and wellbeing of the community, by providing a safe, therapeutic environment for people to regain their confidence, motivation and self-esteem while earning new skills and meeting new friends.
Volunteers in our Café will be serving a wide range of people and predominantly our Centre's service users, therefore you will be volunteering with and around vulnerable adults. To help support our volunteers, we offer in house Safeguarding vulnerable adults training courses.