Cruse Bereavement Support is offering opportunities for people through County Durham to learn new skills and to receive without charge nationally recognised training to join our friendly team of Bereavement Volunteers.
Volunteers give a few hours of their time per week to support people in their local community who are struggling to cope after the death of someone such as a family member or friend. Most of our support is delivered from home via the telephone or online via video call.
Why should you become a bereavement volunteer:-
- Gain valuable skills in active listening
- Get an understanding of key counselling techniques
- Learn more about the grieving process.
- Access regular continuing progression and development webinars
- Join thousands of people across England, Wales and Northern Ireland changing the lives of bereaved people
You don't need to be a trained counsellor or have previous experience to become a Bereavement Volunteer. We look for people who are good listeners, resilient, and who are empathetic and supportive.
- Empathetic and warm
- Proactive approach to self-care
- Open to receiving feedback
- Self-reflective approach to learning and development
- Punctual and reliable
- Comfortable talking about death and grief
Volunteers must have access to a telephone and the internet and have a reasonable level of IT skills.
All volunteers are required to complete a DBS Criminal Record check. Volunteers working directly with clients will be required to complete an enhanced check.
All training takes place over Zoom.
New course dates for 2024 coming soon. Please express an interest now.
Volunteers receive nationally recognised Cruse training without charge.
Upon completion of the course, Bereavement Volunteers will be assigned a dedicated supervisor to offer support and guidance.
Reasonable out of pocket expenses will be paid.
You will also receive regular volunteer newsletters.
The volunteer role is very rewarding, and you would be joining a welcoming and supportive team in your local area.
Upon completion of an application form potential volunteers will be invited to a pre course interview via Zoom prior to the training commencing.